AUSTRALIA: Wool Centre Axed
The future of the $30m International Fibre Centre for the wool industry is in jeopardy, the Herald and Weekly Times reported today.The State Government has called for Federal funding and industry assistance by the end of this month or the centre could be closed. But Federal Government and wool industry sources have said that no funding would be made available.The centre, which was to have provided on-site training on processing wool from the sheep's back to the finished garment, has been plagued by cost over-runs and processing equipment installation problems.When the fibre centre was launched it failed to win funding from the Federal Government, Woolmark, or the industry, so it went alone with a $25m capital investment and a 10-year operational commitment of $2.5m a year.Victoria's Training Minister Lynne Kosky said the State Government would not continue to shoulder the cost of running a centre that benefited the national industry.International Fibre Centre chairman Peter Loney was reluctant to confirm the closure until it had been ratified by the Federal Industry and Science Minister, Nick Minchin.But the centre's acting chief executive, David Nicholson leaves this week and eight remaining staff are also set to leave.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Technology key to shopper experience
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022