AUSTRALIA: Wool Growers May Have To Pay For Contamination
Chargeurs Wool, one of Western Australia's biggest wool buyers, this week warned producers they could be liable to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation if contaminants were found in their woolclips, West Australian Newspapers reported. Company Australian wool purchasing manager Gary Turner said despite years of complaints from processors about the massive costs of in-bale wool contamination to their businesses, growers had not heeded the message. He said part of the problem was brokers not telling their grower clients that contaminants had been found in their wool for fear of 'loss of face' and producers had now probably underrated their liability. But Mr Turner said Chargeurs had had enough of absorbing the cost of contamination. From now on, where it could trace the source of contamination and make a proven commercial claim, it would pursue legal action for compensation from growers as well as private merchants, brokers or classing houses.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar