SOUTH AFRICA: Woolworths begins national sizing survey
South African retailer Woolworths is embarking on a new nationwide body shape and sizing survey, which it says is the first to take place in the country.
The survey of women and men is being carried out to ensure that its clothing sizing standards still meet the needs of customers.
"South Africa has one of the most diverse populations in the world," explains Thateng Shimange, head of womenswear at Woolworths.
"The best way for us to determine the best fit for our clothing is to actually measure real people. No survey like this has ever been done before for the South African population, and for us it's another way we can 'listen' to our customers and adapt to meet their needs."
Woolworths has appointed Alvanon to conduct the survey in its stores in Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town during February and March 2014. The survey also marks Alvanon's first foray into Africa.
No personal information - other than gender, age and ethnic group will be collected - ensuring participants of anonymity.
Participants spend about 15 seconds (fully clothed) in the scanning booth, and afterwards are presented with a printout giving them information about their recommended Woolworths clothing sizes.
"Using the data from the survey, we will be reviewing our fits and sizing across women's wear and men's wear and will be assisting our suppliers in updating our pattern blocks and fit forms, where required," Thateng continues.
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry, including: anti-counterfeiting tools; design tools; fabrics for jeanswear; restricted substances; a...
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry, including: antimicrobial sewing thread; apparel sizing and fit; design tools; fibres for apparel; f...
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global textile and clothing industry, including: anti-counterfeiting tools; antimicrobial sewing thread; apparel sizing and ...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Rana Plaza fund call grows as anniversary nears
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019