SOUTH AFRICA: Woolworths begins national sizing survey
South African retailer Woolworths is embarking on a new nationwide body shape and sizing survey, which it says is the first to take place in the country.
The survey of women and men is being carried out to ensure that its clothing sizing standards still meet the needs of customers.
"South Africa has one of the most diverse populations in the world," explains Thateng Shimange, head of womenswear at Woolworths.
"The best way for us to determine the best fit for our clothing is to actually measure real people. No survey like this has ever been done before for the South African population, and for us it's another way we can 'listen' to our customers and adapt to meet their needs."
Woolworths has appointed Alvanon to conduct the survey in its stores in Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town during February and March 2014. The survey also marks Alvanon's first foray into Africa.
No personal information - other than gender, age and ethnic group will be collected - ensuring participants of anonymity.
Participants spend about 15 seconds (fully clothed) in the scanning booth, and afterwards are presented with a printout giving them information about their recommended Woolworths clothing sizes.
"Using the data from the survey, we will be reviewing our fits and sizing across women's wear and men's wear and will be assisting our suppliers in updating our pattern blocks and fit forms, where required," Thateng continues.
Fit specialist Alvanon has developed a new virtual fit form avatar that it says will further increase the speed of the design-to-market process while yielding significant savings in physical fittings ...
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry, including: anti-counterfeiting tools; design tools; fabrics for jeanswear; restricted substances; a...
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry, including: antimicrobial sewing thread; apparel sizing and fit; design tools; fibres for apparel; f...
Fit specialist Alvanon has launched a fashion industry support programme designed to help restore fashion skills and manufacturing in New York, London and Hong Kong....
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global textile and clothing industry, including: anti-counterfeiting tools; antimicrobial sewing thread; apparel sizing and ...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate ...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre