SOUTH AFRICA: Woolworths Holdings clothing sales climb
South African retail group Woolworths Holdings has booked an increase in domestic clothing sales in the first 26 weeks of its 2014 fiscal year.
In the period ended 29 December, clothing sales in South Africa were up 10.7%. The retailer said the figures include Country Road's South African sales.
Sales in comparable stores grew by 8.8%. Retail space, including stores in the rest of Africa, was up 4.2%, net of closures year-on-year.
General merchandise sales climbed 6.9% and 5.1% on a comparable basis.
Sales in Australia and New Zealand, including the Witchery group, increased by 28.9%, in Australian dollar terms. Comparable store sales were up 5.5% and net space, excluding the Witchery group, grew 4.2%.
Woolworths Holdings plans to operate a number of different strategies during the forecast period. In order to reach a wider range of consumers, the company will continue to open convenience stores in ...
Men became increasingly significant as consumers of clothing accessories towards the end of the review period thanks to a growing focus on men's fashion. This trend particularly benefited men's hats/c...
South African men took a growing interest in global fashion trends towards the end of the review period. This trend was encouraged by widening access to satellite TV and the internet and also by the o...
Women's outerwear benefited from the widening availability of consumer credit via retailers during the review period. Second-ranked player Truworths was particularly active in promoting its credit fac...
Many consumers struggled to make ends meet in South Africa at the end of the review period due to rising food, housing and fuel costs. High levels of household debt also posed a challenge for many con...
Apparel saw strong volume sales growth for the review period as a whole. This was thanks to a number of factors reducing prices, including strong chained outlet volume expansion and increasing price c...
The clothing industry in South Africa has consolidated substantially in recent years, and today a significant number of the larger manufacturers have financial links or strategic alliances with the ma...
Provides in-depth analysis of the latest trends in online consumer shopping, covering of the factors driving online shopping, consumer insights, market dynamics (covering 25 product categories), and r...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Hong Kong industry pins future on innovation
- Asian union development: is there another way?
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019