GERMANY: Working Group Asks EU For Stricter Rules On Dyes
Germany continues to lobby the EU for a ban on trichlorobenzene (TCB) and eight specific textile dyes (known as sensitising dispersive dyes), which are thought to cause allergies, and possibly cancer. The Commission's Scientific Committee on Toxicity, Ecotoxicity and the Environment has recently delivered its findings on the German Health Ministry's request to ban, EU-wide, TCB and the sensitising dispersive dyes in textiles. Germany has been pressing for stricter EU-wide rules regarding the marketing and use of these substances since 1997, when it notified the Commission of possible dangers linked to them. A German textile working group, authorised by the Commission, was set up in 1998 to investigate the effects of TCB and the dispersive dyes. The investigation's conclusions were finally published last month. The eight sensitising dispersive dyes (Disperse Blue 1, 35, 106 and 124, Disperse Yellow 3; Disperse Orange 3 and 37, and Disperse Red 1) are said to cause skin disorders such as allergies, contact dermatitis and possibly cancer, said the German Health Ministry. The Committee investigated a report that was drawn up pursuant to the German Ministry's claims. The Committee came to the following main conclusions:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022