USA: Worldtex To Close Elastic Manufacturing Plant
Worldtex announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary, Elastic Corporation of America, will permanently close a narrow elastic manufacturing facility in Lexington, South Carolina. The company will continue to operate narrow elastic manufacturing plants located in Columbiana, AL; Woolwine, VA; Asheboro, NC; and Hemingway, SC."We are rationalising our manufacturing for improved flexibility to meet the changing market demand by consolidating our narrow elastic fabric operations. Production from Lexington will be shifted to other facilities," said Barry D. Setzer, chief executive officer. "We will continue to operate our most efficient facilities where a significant amount of capital expenditures for 1998 and 1999 have been invested. We expect to reduce our manufacturing cost by this operational restructuring."The closure of the Lexington facility, which will affect approximately 150 wage and salary employees, is expected to be completed by December 31, 2000."We sincerely regret the impact this will have on our employees and the community, and we will seek to help the affected employees make the transition to other employment," Setzer said, "but these changes are necessary in order to improve the financial position of our company."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020