PAKISTAN: WRAP to run fire safety courses in December
Social compliance group Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production (WRAP) is set to run five fire safety training courses in Pakistan in partnership with Accordia Global Compliance Group and several local trade bodies.
The courses, WRAP's first in the country, will take place in Karachi and Lahore during December.
Wrap said the courses will be "highly beneficial" to the industry by providing a essential education on creating safe working conditions in export-oriented production units. The sessions will focus on fire prevention and will cover a range of topics including Pakistani fire laws, fire safety & protection, fire spread & combustion, routine fire prevention measures, effective response during fire, and risk assessment.
The workshops will include instructions on how to formulate an evacuation plan, along with practical fire-fighting demonstrations and an introduction to the internationally practised 5 Step Risk Assessment Process.
"We have seen a lot of positive results with the fire safety training we developed for Bangladesh and are looking forward to launching this highly successful course in Pakistan. The recent tragic fires in the region serve as sad reminders of how critical this issue is. WRAP is dedicated to promoting safe, lawful, humane, and ethical manufacturing and to helping factories prevent such tragedies from occurring," said WRAP president and CEO Avedis Seferian.
In early September a fire took place at the Ali Enterprises factory, located Baldia Town No 2 in the port city of Karachi. More than 260 workers died as a a result of the fire.
The site was manufacturing for German discounter Kik.
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- just-style Sourcing Survey – share your thoughts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack