FRANCE: Zara wins case against Christian Louboutin
Spanish fashion retailer Zara has reportedly won its appeal against a trademark infringement claim brought by luxury footwear maker Christian Louboutin over its famous red-soled shoes.
The Cour de Cassation, the final court of appeal in France, last week ruled Zara can continue to sell red-soled heels, according to reports in The Daily Mail. As a result, Louboutin has allegedly been ordered to pay Zara GBP2,000 (US$3,107) in compensation.
The case, which has been ongoing since 2008, started when Louboutin filed a lawsuit against the Spanish retailer because its red soled shoes were similar to the designer's.
This is not the first time Louboutin has complained about rival retailers selling red-soled shoes. Last April, Louboutin sued Yves Saint Laurent for trademark infringement of its famous shoes.
Both Zara and Christian Louboutin declined to comment when contacted by just-style today (12 June).
Despite the financial storm clouds that have disrupted Europe's economy over the past few years, the continent's luxury apparel sector has proved remarkably resilient, with global demand for their pro...
The UK's largest clothing retailer, Marks & Spencer is seeing its clothing supply base shift away from the Far East as it looks to increase speed to market after facing a series of replenishment issue...
The most read stories on just-style this week include clothing and children's footwear boosting UK retail sales in November, a look at where the Tazreen fire leaves Bangladesh, and Reebok announcing i...
French apparel group PPR has entered into an agreement to sell its US plus size business OneStopPlusGroup to private equity firms Charlesbank Capital and Webster Capital as it works to focus on its lu...
Spanish retail giant Inditex has joined an industry wide initiative that will see it cut hazardous chemicals from its clothing by 2020. ...
Twenty leading fashion brands are selling clothing contaminated with chemicals with hormone-disrupting or cancer-causing properties when released into the environment, according to Greenpeace Internat...
Clothing and footwear sales are set to outpace total retail spending in the UK during the Christmas period thanks to their ongoing popularity as gift items....
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report