WORLD: Zero discharge group backs PRTR transparency tool
The Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals Group (ZDHC) has backed the use of Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers (PRTR) as part of its ongoing efforts to clean up the apparel and footwear supply chains.
The group, which has numerous leading apparel brands as members, announced its support of PRTRs in its Right-to-Know Chemical Methodology Disclosure Research report.
The investigation into chemical disclosure methodologies aims to document the processes, challenges and opportunities related to PRTRs, providing suggestions to improve their impact for the apparel and footwear industry.
“The principle of disclosure and transparency underpins our programme work,” said Cheryl Kreindler, ZDHC programme manager.
“Disclosure of facility chemical management information is important to all stakeholders.”
Kreindler added that the group recognised PRTR as “one of the best” methods for addressing issues posed by ZDHC and advocated by the right-to-know principle.
She added: “However, we are also mindful of the timescales involved and the need to take interim action.
“This will be achieved by introducing a system to prevent intentional use of hazardous chemicals in the manufacturing process.”
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details