WORLD: Zero discharge group backs PRTR transparency tool
The Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals Group (ZDHC) has backed the use of Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers (PRTR) as part of its ongoing efforts to clean up the apparel and footwear supply chains.
The group, which has numerous leading apparel brands as members, announced its support of PRTRs in its Right-to-Know Chemical Methodology Disclosure Research report.
The investigation into chemical disclosure methodologies aims to document the processes, challenges and opportunities related to PRTRs, providing suggestions to improve their impact for the apparel and footwear industry.
“The principle of disclosure and transparency underpins our programme work,” said Cheryl Kreindler, ZDHC programme manager.
“Disclosure of facility chemical management information is important to all stakeholders.”
Kreindler added that the group recognised PRTR as “one of the best” methods for addressing issues posed by ZDHC and advocated by the right-to-know principle.
She added: “However, we are also mindful of the timescales involved and the need to take interim action.
“This will be achieved by introducing a system to prevent intentional use of hazardous chemicals in the manufacturing process.”
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change