US: Zumiez Q2 profit beats forecasts
Mall-based retailer Zumiez beat its own expectations with second quarter income of US$2.7m, down from $3.1m for the same period last year.
Sales at the US company for the three months to 2 August were up 12.5% to $92.3m, but comparable store sales edged down 1.7%.
For the first half, Zumiez registered a 13.4% sales increase to $171m, with comparable store sales down 1.3%. Net income was $4.1m, down from $4.7m in 2007.
Zumiez president and CEO Rick Brooks hailed the "positive strides" made by the company, while controlling costs and managing inventories in a "difficult" trading environment.
"We have opened 39 stores this year and continue to make the investments necessary to build the Zumiez chain to our goal of 800 stores," he said. "That said, the macro environment remains challenging and retailers are becoming increasingly promotional.
"Therefore, we believe it is prudent to adopt a more conservative outlook for the back half of the year."
Zumiez is now forecasting earnings per share of $0.80-0.82 for fiscal 2008, down from its previous prediction of $0.90-0.93, based on a mid to low single-digit comparable store sales decline.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Retailer Abercrombie & Fitch blamed a "nightmare" fourth quarter as the company's profit slumped to US$68.4m from $216.8m for the same period last year....
Despite posting a 23% slump in January same-store sales, shares in Gap Inc rose 6% yesterday (5 January) as the largest US specialty clothing retailer lifted its earnings outlook on the back of sharp ...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' January 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Value apparel retailer Citi Trends posted an 8.9% sales increase in its fourth quarter, but saw comparable store sales fall back slightly....
Fashion retail group Esprit Holdings pledged to emerge stronger from the current downturn despite posting its first profit fall in a decade for the company's first half....
Fashion retail group H&M Hennes & Mauritz is to push on with growth plans after posting a 13% increase in full-year profit....
Luxury fashion company Burberry is to cut up to 540 jobs in the UK and Spain as the company restructures its European manufacturing base in the face of the economic downturn....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has lowered its earnings guidance for the year after same-store sales fell 14% in December and margins were hit by lower prices....
- Li & Fung eyes speed, innovation & digitalisation
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Apparel group Sae-A opens second school in Haiti
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack