FRANCE: Z&V takes Gap to court over 'lookalike' T-shirt
French fashion chain Zadig & Voltaire has taken Gap Inc to court in France claiming the US giant has counterfeited one of its best-selling garments.
Zadig & Voltaire, which produces around 70,000 long-sleeved V-necked "Tunisian" T-shirts each year, claims that Gap reproduced the article in more or less identical fashion, right down to its distinctive features of five buttons facing five imitation buttonholes and a collar made up of five layers of superimposed roughly-cut fabric.
It alleges that the T-shirt was part of Gap's Slub Henley line and was sold in its shops in France, the UK and the US.
The company lodged its complaint with a Paris commercial court earlier this year but has so far drawn little reaction from Gap, said Isabelle Wekstein-Steg of Zadig & Voltaire's lawyers, Wan Avocats.
"Gap has until around the end of next month to state its position in court but Zadig & Voltaire is already mulling further legal action in France, with regard to Gap's website and also in the US and the UK," she said.
"The latest information we have indicates that Gap has withdrawn the lookalike Tunisian from its shops. Whether this is the case or not we will continue to seek indemnities."
By Stuart Todd.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Same-stores sales at Gap Inc, the US' largest speciality clothing retailer, fell 6% in February on lower demand for all its brands....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' February 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Cost cutting and tight controls over inventory helped Gap Inc to a 21% jump in fourth quarter profit, but did little to stem sliding sales at the Gap and Old Navy chains....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
San Francisco retail giant Gap Inc has parted company with Dawn Robertson, the president of its Old Navy value-price family apparel brand, after just 16 months in the job....
Despite falling January, fourth quarter and full year sales, clothing retailer Gap Inc yesterday (7 February) raised its fiscal earnings guidance....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' January 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Gap's chief legal and administrative officer Lauri Shanahan is to leave the company to pursue fresh challenges after 15 years with the fashion retailer....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts