FRANCE: Z&V takes Gap to court over 'lookalike' T-shirt
French fashion chain Zadig & Voltaire has taken Gap Inc to court in France claiming the US giant has counterfeited one of its best-selling garments.
Zadig & Voltaire, which produces around 70,000 long-sleeved V-necked "Tunisian" T-shirts each year, claims that Gap reproduced the article in more or less identical fashion, right down to its distinctive features of five buttons facing five imitation buttonholes and a collar made up of five layers of superimposed roughly-cut fabric.
It alleges that the T-shirt was part of Gap's Slub Henley line and was sold in its shops in France, the UK and the US.
The company lodged its complaint with a Paris commercial court earlier this year but has so far drawn little reaction from Gap, said Isabelle Wekstein-Steg of Zadig & Voltaire's lawyers, Wan Avocats.
"Gap has until around the end of next month to state its position in court but Zadig & Voltaire is already mulling further legal action in France, with regard to Gap's website and also in the US and the UK," she said.
"The latest information we have indicates that Gap has withdrawn the lookalike Tunisian from its shops. Whether this is the case or not we will continue to seek indemnities."
By Stuart Todd.
Same-stores sales at Gap Inc, the US' largest speciality clothing retailer, fell 6% in February on lower demand for all its brands....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' February 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Cost cutting and tight controls over inventory helped Gap Inc to a 21% jump in fourth quarter profit, but did little to stem sliding sales at the Gap and Old Navy chains....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
San Francisco retail giant Gap Inc has parted company with Dawn Robertson, the president of its Old Navy value-price family apparel brand, after just 16 months in the job....
Despite falling January, fourth quarter and full year sales, clothing retailer Gap Inc yesterday (7 February) raised its fiscal earnings guidance....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' January 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Gap's chief legal and administrative officer Lauri Shanahan is to leave the company to pursue fresh challenges after 15 years with the fashion retailer....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020