Retail: Latest news and analysis articles
Volatility and complexity are endemic in today's business environments, which makes planning extremely difficult. Along with streamlining pr...
A spate of books written over the past few years explores various aspects of the global garment business. But for Robert Antoshak, managing...
Retailers on both sides of the Atlantic are gearing up for the hoped-for Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping bonanzas – but many will als...
Apparel brands, retailers and suppliers are having to navigate an increasing number of supply chain challenges in order to operate in a more...
Easy access to cheap capital, infinite computing power, and “the Uberfication of everything” are converging to create a perfect storm of disruption that's already starting to shake up the apparel retail industry, according to Kurt Cavano, founder and chief strategy officer of cloud-based supply chain platform GT Nexus.
"We're best when we're leading and pioneering," is Michael Kobori's take on denim giant Levi Strauss & Co's responsibility in ensuring it has an ethical supply chain. But it is competition, believes the company's VP of sustainability, more so than collaboration, that really raises the bar when it comes to sustainability.
In the most recent third-quarter filings from US apparel brands and retailers, Abercrombie & Fitch recorded higher earnings thanks to less discounting, while Foot Locker revealed a mixed quarter, and Caleres saw its profit rise. Also, Citi Trends returned to profit, while L Brands, Ross Stores, and Perry Ellis lifted their full-year guidance. Guess revealed declining earnings as a result of the stronger US dollar, while Dollar Tree's earnings fell on acquisition costs, and DSW recorded "disappointing" figures.
Sales growth at UK clothing retailers continued to rise in the year to November, but at a slower pace than the prior month, while footwear and leather chains saw volumes accelerate even further.
UK retail giant Arcadia Group said ensuring it has a well-audited supply chain will remain a priority as it revealed an increase in earnings for the full year, but a decline in like-for-like sales.
More than 1m US consumers were out in full force during Thanksgiving weekend to take advantage of deals and discounts, first figures suggest, with clothing at the top of the gifts list.
A strong winter collection has helped to boost sales and margin performance for fashion retailer French Connection during the 16 weeks to 21 November.
Hong Kong-listed fashion brand Esprit has joined the German-led Partnership for Sustainable Textiles initiative, which aims to bring about social, ecological and economic improvements along the apparel and textile supply chain.
China is using a catchy English-language TV ad to promote its 13th Five-Year Plan for the five years to 2020. But Mike Flanagan questions whether the Plan really tells us how garment-making in China will be affected.
It seems American Apparel doesn't want to learn its lesson. Now operating under new CEO Paula Schneider, you might be forgiven for thinking the US fashion retailer had turned a corner.
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- PETA calls for wool boycott on “gruesome” exposé
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015