Social & environmental: Latest news and analysis articles
The Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety says it will stay the course in the south Asian country despite two recent terrorist attacks – an...
The Central American garment industries in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras must continue investing in growth and ensure factories are sa...
Environmental action group Greenpeace has expressed concerns the textile and apparel industry is not doing enough to meet its goals of going...
Renewed interest in a US law banning the entry of imported goods made with forced or indentured labour requires manufacturers, US importers,...
With pressure mounting on the outdoor apparel industry to eliminate hazardous chemicals from products and production processes, The North Face is using tools developed by parent company VF Corp to help it work towards its goals. And for sustainability manager James Rogers, the key to reducing overall chemical use is to take a holistic view of the entire supply chain.
Increasing requirements by apparel brands and retailers for specialist quality assurance, compliance and supply chain security services are fuelling the strong double-digit growth of Omega Compliance, a standalone subsidiary of sourcing specialist William E. Connor & Associates Ltd. Celebrating its tenth anniversary this year, the company tells just-style why its momentum on responsible sourcing shows no sign of slowing down.
Nearly a year after deciding to re-build its wool programme after an investigation exposed "extreme cruelty" at one of its main suppliers, US outdoor brand Patagonia has developed its own wool standard.
A Bangladesh garment factory group has defended itself over union claims it had attempted to relocate workers, failed to make bonus payments and that one of its officers had "tortured" a pregnant worker.
US specialty fashion giant Gap Inc has signed up to the Better Cotton Initiative (BCI) as part of its commitment to help improve cotton farming practices globally.
DuPont's renewably sourced Sorona fibre, which is made from ingredients such as corn, has received Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification for the fifth year in a row.
The Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh has cut ties with another seven ready-made garment suppliers for failing to implement workplace safety measures – and admits that 97% of all factories used by its signatory companies are behind schedule on remediation.
US department store retailer Target Corp says it has surpassed almost half of the 20 sustainability goals the company set itself five years ago, including using more than 14.5m recycled plastic bottles to produce fabric for its own-brand jeans.
Now that both the final text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and official trade statistics for 2015 have been released, we take another look at the likely impact of TPP's tariff phase-out schedule on US textile and apparel imports from Vietnam.
Two terrorist attacks in Bangladesh over the past week have left the country's key garment industry in turmoil, with buyers rethinking travel plans and potential economic fallout for a sector reliant on foreign investment. Observers say the sector must now join with the government in taking a lead on security and economic issues if it is to continue to thrive and attract customers.
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020