Blog: A gloomy August for US retailers
Joe Ayling | 5 September 2008
The US retail roundup for August is plagued with same-store sales declines at fashion chains, showing that consumer appetite for discretionary items is still somewhat stifled by economic woes in the country.
Lowering disposable incomes in the country hit demand for clothes at stores including Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Chico's, The Gap, Saks, Nordstrom, Limited Brands and Kohl's.
A few chains bucked the negative same-store sales trend, including Aeropostale, Mothers Work and American Apparel, but August was a gloomy month for most as shoppers favoured discount retail, especially for back-to-school items.
However, a rallying US dollar has risen by around 10% against a basket of currencies collated by Forbes in the past month, and the longer-term migration of market speculators from oil to the dollar should enable US consumers to save at the petrol pump and reap the rewards of lower inflation.
In the meantime, retailers are finding the balance between encouraging shoppers to use their 'discretion' to buy more clothes, shoes and accessories, while keeping a close eye on inventories.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Last week, an unprecedented series of events in the US financial sector shook global markets, leaving retailers and brands anxious that already tough trading conditions could worsen still. Joe Ayling ...
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack