Blog: A pop of purple sets the mood for 2014
Leonie Barrie | 2 January 2014
Pantone's colour of the year for 2014 is Radiant Orchid
Surely one of the best reasons to cut short the holiday break and rush back to your desk at the beginning of January is to see what Pantone is unveiling as its colour of the year.
Well the wait is over - and in case you're wondering, for 2014 we can look forward to 'Radiant Orchid', a "captivating, magical, enigmatic purple."
According to Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, it's "an invitation to innovation," and if that's not enough, "encourages expanded creativity and originality."
She continues: "An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm."
For fashion, the shade's rosy undertones "radiate on the skin, producing a healthy glow when worn by both men and women." And it is already appearing in spring collections from Jackie Fraser-Swan, Juicy Couture and Yoana Baraschi.
Pantone has been naming a colour of the year since 2000. Radiant orchid follows emerald in 2013, tangerine tango in 2012, honeysuckle in 2011, and turquoise in 2010.
Happy New Year!
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective