Blog: A pop of purple sets the mood for 2014
Leonie Barrie | 2 January 2014
Pantone's colour of the year for 2014 is Radiant Orchid
Surely one of the best reasons to cut short the holiday break and rush back to your desk at the beginning of January is to see what Pantone is unveiling as its colour of the year.
Well the wait is over - and in case you're wondering, for 2014 we can look forward to 'Radiant Orchid', a "captivating, magical, enigmatic purple."
According to Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, it's "an invitation to innovation," and if that's not enough, "encourages expanded creativity and originality."
She continues: "An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm."
For fashion, the shade's rosy undertones "radiate on the skin, producing a healthy glow when worn by both men and women." And it is already appearing in spring collections from Jackie Fraser-Swan, Juicy Couture and Yoana Baraschi.
Pantone has been naming a colour of the year since 2000. Radiant orchid follows emerald in 2013, tangerine tango in 2012, honeysuckle in 2011, and turquoise in 2010.
Happy New Year!
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
The Bangladesh government has responded to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers pulled out of this week's Dhaka Apparel Summit in protest....
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Apparel maker Gildan Activewear has booked a rise in both earnings and revenue in its fourth-quarter, thanks to growing sales in its printwear and branded apparel businesses....
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022