Blog: ‘Abercrombie & Rich’
Leonie Barrie | 3 April 2007
There was excitement when US fashion chain Abercrombie & Fitch opened its first London store. But now the knives are out in the British media after sharp-eyed consumers noticed that the garments on sale over here are almost double the price of the same items in the retailer’s US stores. “The trendy US gear that costs double over here,” was a headline I spotted in The Daily Mail, which also singled out Gap for criticism over its UK mark-ups. Denying that it sees Britain as a 'treasure island', Abecrombie & Fitch blames its higher prices for the increased cost of operating in the UK. Perhaps its choice of upmarket Savile Row, where rents are among the highest in London, is part of the problem?
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective