Blog: Activewear sales surge on celeb workout selfies
Katie Smith | 17 January 2014
Sales of George at Asda's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% last week
With the likes of Kim Kardashian and Lucy Mecklenburgh sharing their gym habits via workout selfies, it's hard not to think about getting into shape this new year, and what to wear when working out.
According to George at Asda, 64% of shoppers last week started a fitness regime to shift their unwanted lumps and bumps.
With that, sales of the UK retailer's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% in the week, and are increasing at a rate of 50% day-on-day.
Sales of stylish activewear have soared 119% in January year-on-year, with 70% of women admitting to wearing accessories and make-up such as lipstick during workouts - following in the footsteps of Taylor Swift.
And it's not just clothing that has benefited.
Sales of dumbells and yoga mats are up 106% this month as British consumers imitate workouts by celebrities such as Britney Spears. Treadmills and cross trainers, meanwhile, have seen sales shoot up by 132% so far in January.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report