Blog: Activewear sales surge on celeb workout selfies
Katie Smith | 17 January 2014
Sales of George at Asda's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% last week
With the likes of Kim Kardashian and Lucy Mecklenburgh sharing their gym habits via workout selfies, it's hard not to think about getting into shape this new year, and what to wear when working out.
According to George at Asda, 64% of shoppers last week started a fitness regime to shift their unwanted lumps and bumps.
With that, sales of the UK retailer's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% in the week, and are increasing at a rate of 50% day-on-day.
Sales of stylish activewear have soared 119% in January year-on-year, with 70% of women admitting to wearing accessories and make-up such as lipstick during workouts - following in the footsteps of Taylor Swift.
And it's not just clothing that has benefited.
Sales of dumbells and yoga mats are up 106% this month as British consumers imitate workouts by celebrities such as Britney Spears. Treadmills and cross trainers, meanwhile, have seen sales shoot up by 132% so far in January.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
While progress has been made in talks on the Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership (TTIP) pact, the EU and US have this week outlined areas where significant work remains to be done....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022