Blog: Activewear sales surge on celeb workout selfies
Katie Smith | 17 January 2014
Sales of George at Asda's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% last week
With the likes of Kim Kardashian and Lucy Mecklenburgh sharing their gym habits via workout selfies, it's hard not to think about getting into shape this new year, and what to wear when working out.
According to George at Asda, 64% of shoppers last week started a fitness regime to shift their unwanted lumps and bumps.
With that, sales of the UK retailer's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% in the week, and are increasing at a rate of 50% day-on-day.
Sales of stylish activewear have soared 119% in January year-on-year, with 70% of women admitting to wearing accessories and make-up such as lipstick during workouts - following in the footsteps of Taylor Swift.
And it's not just clothing that has benefited.
Sales of dumbells and yoga mats are up 106% this month as British consumers imitate workouts by celebrities such as Britney Spears. Treadmills and cross trainers, meanwhile, have seen sales shoot up by 132% so far in January.
In the most recent fourth-quarter filings from US apparel and footwear brands and retailers, Carter's booked a record quarter, VF Corporation revealed a fall in both sales and earnings for the fourth ...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Steve Madden, Target Corp
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022