Blog: Activewear sales surge on celeb workout selfies
Katie Smith | 17 January 2014
Sales of George at Asda's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% last week
With the likes of Kim Kardashian and Lucy Mecklenburgh sharing their gym habits via workout selfies, it's hard not to think about getting into shape this new year, and what to wear when working out.
According to George at Asda, 64% of shoppers last week started a fitness regime to shift their unwanted lumps and bumps.
With that, sales of the UK retailer's Athletic Works fitness clothing range jumped 230% in the week, and are increasing at a rate of 50% day-on-day.
Sales of stylish activewear have soared 119% in January year-on-year, with 70% of women admitting to wearing accessories and make-up such as lipstick during workouts - following in the footsteps of Taylor Swift.
And it's not just clothing that has benefited.
Sales of dumbells and yoga mats are up 106% this month as British consumers imitate workouts by celebrities such as Britney Spears. Treadmills and cross trainers, meanwhile, have seen sales shoot up by 132% so far in January.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Li & Fung eyes speed, innovation & digitalisation
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Apparel group Sae-A opens second school in Haiti
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack