Blog: Amazon's apparel might 'underestimated'
Michelle Russell | 10 January 2014
It will come as little surprise to many that consumers are increasingly choosing the convenience of online when shopping for clothes, browsing on their sofa and avoiding the stress of sale crowds.
But the names that spring to mind may include Abercrombie & Fitch, H&M and Gap. Not Amazon, a company well known for its core of books, DVDs and electronics.
However, Amazon is continuing to take share in apparel. According to a consumer tracking survey published by Cowen & Co, in December, 10% of the US population purchased apparel on Amazon, a 27% jump from the prior year period. The percentage that bought 'fashion' apparel was even higher, at 37%, for a total of 5% of the US population.
And the researchers see no sign of this abating.
"It is not a news flash that Amazon continues to gain market share from traditional retailers. Nonetheless, we think that investors may be underestimating the inroads that Amazon is making in apparel, including fashion apparel. Purchasing of apparel on Amazon, including fashion apparel, continues to grow dramatically."
With the e-commerce firm also making further inroads into the online grocery channel, it seems the might of Amazon is intent on making its mark in all of its categories.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
The European Union (EU) is being urged to adopt a roadmap for Sri Lanka with time-bound measures to comply with core labour conventions before it can regain GSP+ beneficiary status. ...
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack