Blog: Amazon's apparel might 'underestimated'
Michelle Russell | 10 January 2014
It will come as little surprise to many that consumers are increasingly choosing the convenience of online when shopping for clothes, browsing on their sofa and avoiding the stress of sale crowds.
But the names that spring to mind may include Abercrombie & Fitch, H&M and Gap. Not Amazon, a company well known for its core of books, DVDs and electronics.
However, Amazon is continuing to take share in apparel. According to a consumer tracking survey published by Cowen & Co, in December, 10% of the US population purchased apparel on Amazon, a 27% jump from the prior year period. The percentage that bought 'fashion' apparel was even higher, at 37%, for a total of 5% of the US population.
And the researchers see no sign of this abating.
"It is not a news flash that Amazon continues to gain market share from traditional retailers. Nonetheless, we think that investors may be underestimating the inroads that Amazon is making in apparel, including fashion apparel. Purchasing of apparel on Amazon, including fashion apparel, continues to grow dramatically."
With the e-commerce firm also making further inroads into the online grocery channel, it seems the might of Amazon is intent on making its mark in all of its categories.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
While progress has been made in talks on the Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership (TTIP) pact, the EU and US have this week outlined areas where significant work remains to be done....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022