Blog: An Olympic effort
Leonie Barrie | 20 August 2004
I’ve found myself riveted by TV coverage of the Athens Olympics over the past week. Maybe there’s a bit of a professional interest in the games too, as sportswear companies seem to have a much higher profile than I remember from previous events. Perhaps its also because their innovations are entering the realms of science fiction, and nowhere are this more apparent than in the swimming pool. Speedo has drawn on Formula 1 technology and ‘computational fluid dynamics’ to model fluid flow around the swimmer. Nike’s latest drag-killing device is a little simpler: strapless water goggles. Apparently two independent goggle lenses get affixed to the eye sockets with medical-grade adhesive (read: superglue)! Can these developments really be worth it? When it comes down to a split-second chance at a gold medal then the answer has to be ‘yes.’ And that’s without the consumer sales that are bound to follow in the Olympians’ wake.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts