Blog: Another testing AGM for Sir Stuart
Joe Ayling | 8 July 2009
Today (8 July) just-style is reporting from the AGM of clothing giant Marks and Spencer in London, whose boss Sir Stuart Rose is under the spotlight for a second year running.
Sir Stuart was last year elected executive chairman of the retailer, in addition to his ongoing chief executive duties.
Some shareholders contested the dual role at the time, saying it was against corporate governance best practice, and Sir Stuart faces their concerns once again a year later.
The Local Authority Pension Fund Forum (LAPFF) will today table a resolution calling for the chairman and chief executive roles to be split, according to the Press Association. They, along with some other shareholder groups, want to see an independent chairman at M&S before Sir Stuart's July 2011 succession.
Whether the resolution is passed, however, is another matter given M&S' return to quarterly sales growth last week. The company is not immune from the effects of the UK recession though, and like-for-like sales decreased 1.4% for the period.
Sir Stuart will need support from his closest allies, along with some clever soundbites, as he prepares for another testing AGM.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack