Blog: April sales as good as it gets?
Leonie Barrie | 9 May 2008
There was a mix of good news and bad news for retailers in April after many sales reports bucked recent downward trends – as expected – but analysts warned not to get their hopes up.
The good news was that following a dire March, when an early Easter and unseasonably cold weather helped keep consumers away from stores, April was a definite improvement. Warmer weather helped encourage purchases of spring and summer fashions, as did seep discounting to help shift merchandise.
The bad news, however, is that most consumers are still sticking to bargains or basics, as they contend with rising gas and food prices and the ongoing housing downturn. But while this is benefiting discount retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores, department stores and mall-based apparel specialists are suffering heavy losses.
Some analysts are now suggesting that April might be as good as it gets for many retailers this year, and that while cash-strapped consumers continue to seek out bargains, weak to slow growth may be the best they can expect.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Technology key to shopper experience
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022