Blog: April sales as good as it gets?
Leonie Barrie | 9 May 2008
There was a mix of good news and bad news for retailers in April after many sales reports bucked recent downward trends – as expected – but analysts warned not to get their hopes up.
The good news was that following a dire March, when an early Easter and unseasonably cold weather helped keep consumers away from stores, April was a definite improvement. Warmer weather helped encourage purchases of spring and summer fashions, as did seep discounting to help shift merchandise.
The bad news, however, is that most consumers are still sticking to bargains or basics, as they contend with rising gas and food prices and the ongoing housing downturn. But while this is benefiting discount retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores, department stores and mall-based apparel specialists are suffering heavy losses.
Some analysts are now suggesting that April might be as good as it gets for many retailers this year, and that while cash-strapped consumers continue to seek out bargains, weak to slow growth may be the best they can expect.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective