Blog: Asda reports bizarre bikini bonanza
Joe Ayling | 20 February 2009
A pair of Long Johns, new scarf or thermal socks have been fixtures on the winter shopping list for UK consumers going back decades, but bikinis?
Truly bizarre findings at George brand owner Asda show that winter sales of bikinis are up 22% year-on-year, and that requests for swimwear, flip flops and natural materials like 100% cotton and linen are flooding into store headquarters.
George customers say items like linen can be worn now and all the way through to the summer months, dressed up or down, making it a low ‘cost per wear’ item.
Indeed, Asda is expecting linen sales in its Moda line to be up 40% year-on-year.
The unique nature of the current financial climate is certainly resulting in some unprecedented buying habits.
And judging by this latest surge for bikinis, maybe holiday operators in the UK still have some cause for optimism this summer as the gloom lifts and the beach beckons.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar