Blog: Asda reports bizarre bikini bonanza
Joe Ayling | 20 February 2009
A pair of Long Johns, new scarf or thermal socks have been fixtures on the winter shopping list for UK consumers going back decades, but bikinis?
Truly bizarre findings at George brand owner Asda show that winter sales of bikinis are up 22% year-on-year, and that requests for swimwear, flip flops and natural materials like 100% cotton and linen are flooding into store headquarters.
George customers say items like linen can be worn now and all the way through to the summer months, dressed up or down, making it a low ‘cost per wear’ item.
Indeed, Asda is expecting linen sales in its Moda line to be up 40% year-on-year.
The unique nature of the current financial climate is certainly resulting in some unprecedented buying habits.
And judging by this latest surge for bikinis, maybe holiday operators in the UK still have some cause for optimism this summer as the gloom lifts and the beach beckons.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- M&S clothing growth – What the analysts say
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Target leads funding for mobile quality inspection
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022