Blog: Babe in a box
Leonie Barrie | 22 November 2005
Following on from my last blog about retailers needing to pull something extra special out of the bag in order to surpass last year’s holiday sales comes a story from UK retailer New Look which is literally doing just that. Picture the scene: in a bid to get into the festive spirit your other half has been instructed to wait at a particular destination, a restaurant perhaps, or a party, or just at home. You and the gift box will then be delivered to the lucky recipient by a New Look courier, in an adult-sized gift box and wrapped in Christmas paper. The perfect surprise – definitely; but the perfect present – well I’m not so sure!
There’s no doubt the service will raise a festive smile. But I’m not certain it will be a smile of happiness; a grimace or an expression of sheer horror are more likely. The giver of the gift – the person in the box! – will at least have had a makeover with a New Look stylist, but I can safely say that this is one pressie that’s definitely not going to be on my Christmas list this year.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022