Blog: Babe in a box
Leonie Barrie | 22 November 2005
Following on from my last blog about retailers needing to pull something extra special out of the bag in order to surpass last year’s holiday sales comes a story from UK retailer New Look which is literally doing just that. Picture the scene: in a bid to get into the festive spirit your other half has been instructed to wait at a particular destination, a restaurant perhaps, or a party, or just at home. You and the gift box will then be delivered to the lucky recipient by a New Look courier, in an adult-sized gift box and wrapped in Christmas paper. The perfect surprise – definitely; but the perfect present – well I’m not so sure!
There’s no doubt the service will raise a festive smile. But I’m not certain it will be a smile of happiness; a grimace or an expression of sheer horror are more likely. The giver of the gift – the person in the box! – will at least have had a makeover with a New Look stylist, but I can safely say that this is one pressie that’s definitely not going to be on my Christmas list this year.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report