Blog: Battle of the brands
Leonie Barrie | 22 March 2006
Shares in clothing and accessories maker Jones Apparel soared after the company issued a brief statement confirming rumours that it could soon be put up for sale. Suggestions are that the company, whose brands include Jones New York, Evan-Picone, Gloria Vanderbilt, Anne Klein and Bandolino, hopes to appeal to private equity players who seem to have been on a bit of a spending spree recently, snapping up names such as Tommy Hilfiger and Neiman Marcus. But Jones denies that it wants to offload any of its divisions, such as the disappointing Nine West footwear chain – although that option is obviously one that might appeal to a new owner.
Like many of its apparel rivals, Jones has been the recent victim of increasing retail consolidation (particularly the merger of Federated and May) which, in turn, means the apparel supplier now has less power in negotiations. And even though it has been expanding its own retail stores in an attempt to give it more control over its distribution, it is still deeply reliant on – for which read vulnerable to – the whims of its retail partners. All of which ties in rather well with a new feature on just-style that suggests brands, the very backbone of Jones Apparel’s business, are becoming increasingly irrelevant in much of today’s clothing industry. Perhaps the company is evaluating its options while it still can.
Are brands are becoming increasingly irrelevant in much of today’s clothing industry? Mike Flanagan points out that in the super-club of the world’s largest apparel companies, there’s no longer a sing...
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar