Blog: Be careful what you wear
Leonie Barrie | 6 December 2006
China’s latest solution to the endemic problem of counterfeit clothing is to stop its citizens from wearing fakes when they travel abroad – or face fines of up to EUR300,000. The move was apparently triggered after a Chinese tourist was stopped by French custom officials for carrying a fake Adidas backpack, which was then confiscated.
This might be one way of tackling the rampant demand from Chinese consumers for cheap counterfeit products – at least when they travel – but why not ban them on home turf too? Also, what about foreign visitors who flock to China’s infamous markets – are they too going to be stopped on the flight home? And do customs officers, already on the alert to tackle the threat of international terrorism, really have the time or inclination to pursue people wearing fake labels?
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020