Blog: Be careful what you wear
Leonie Barrie | 6 December 2006
China’s latest solution to the endemic problem of counterfeit clothing is to stop its citizens from wearing fakes when they travel abroad – or face fines of up to EUR300,000. The move was apparently triggered after a Chinese tourist was stopped by French custom officials for carrying a fake Adidas backpack, which was then confiscated.
This might be one way of tackling the rampant demand from Chinese consumers for cheap counterfeit products – at least when they travel – but why not ban them on home turf too? Also, what about foreign visitors who flock to China’s infamous markets – are they too going to be stopped on the flight home? And do customs officers, already on the alert to tackle the threat of international terrorism, really have the time or inclination to pursue people wearing fake labels?
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
The countdown is over: we’ve now opened applications to join the testing program for just-style’s new apparel sourcing planning tool, re:source....
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Update - Bangladesh "business as usual"
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar