Blog: Be careful what you wear
Leonie Barrie | 6 December 2006
China’s latest solution to the endemic problem of counterfeit clothing is to stop its citizens from wearing fakes when they travel abroad – or face fines of up to EUR300,000. The move was apparently triggered after a Chinese tourist was stopped by French custom officials for carrying a fake Adidas backpack, which was then confiscated.
This might be one way of tackling the rampant demand from Chinese consumers for cheap counterfeit products – at least when they travel – but why not ban them on home turf too? Also, what about foreign visitors who flock to China’s infamous markets – are they too going to be stopped on the flight home? And do customs officers, already on the alert to tackle the threat of international terrorism, really have the time or inclination to pursue people wearing fake labels?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- Trump blows the case for Brexit out of the water
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Duty-free trade key to build Africa supply chains
- Bangladesh slips as US imports decline in October
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth
- US Q3 in brief – Destination Maternity, Cherokee
- World cotton price prospects lifted again
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores