Blog: Big bra battle
Leonie Barrie | 6 May 2009
Nearly a year ago just-style blogged a story about Marks & Spencer putting a GBP2 surcharge on bras above a DD cup, to cover the cost of the additional fabric and work required to make larger sizes. But surprisingly, despite other high-street lingerie retailers managing to offer one price across all sizes, M&S has so far refused to back down.
But for how much longer? The founder of the Busts 4 Justice protest group on the Facebook website (which now has nearly 8,000 members against just 900 last July) has bought a share in M&S so she can raise this issue with the chain’s chairman Sir Stuart Rose at its annual meeting in July.
As if he’s not got enough to worry about just now, Sir Stuart will also have to try to explain why shoppers don’t have to pay more for an extra large T-shirt, or less for a smaller pair of trousers – but do have to fork out for a larger cup size.
And as if to press the point home, rival retailer George at Asda has just unveiled a GBP4.00 bra, available in A-F cup sizes, to support “shoppers' wallets as well as their busts”.
Asda, which says over a quarter of British women wear a bra size D-F, points out that real women come in all shapes and sizes and shouldn’t be discriminated against for their bigger busts.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Apparel brands "ignoring" refugee abuse in Turkey
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report