Blog: Big freeze chills retailers
Leonie Barrie | 6 January 2010
It’s a well-known fact that the Brits like nothing better than to chat about the weather – so you can imagine what a field-day the media is having over here now that we’ve really got Arctic conditions to contend with.
And with the UK in the midst of its worst cold snap in almost 30 years, it seems the country is struggling to cope. Panic buying at supermarkets, fears that gas supplies are about to run out, the Army being drafted in to rescue stranded motorists, councils running out of grit, hospitals cancelling operations, and road and rail chaos are just some of the stories doing the rounds today.
Businesses, too, are starting to count the cost of the UK’s complete and utter failure to cope with the extreme weather conditions, which forecasters say could last until the weekend. Experts say the disruption could cost the UK economy up to GBP2bn as workers stay at home – and of course this translates into lost sales for retailers too.
But there is some small consolation as shoppers are also stocking up on cold weather gear, including gloves, hats and boots. Thermal underwear sales are also said to be up ten-fold at Asda and M&S is selling several pairs of gloves per second.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Apparel brands "ignoring" refugee abuse in Turkey
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020