Blog: Bigger picture shows Next success
Leonie Barrie | 6 August 2008
This week saw a heady mention for Next Plc in The Times newspaper's top ten share price growers - with the UK retailer out-gunning the likes of Nokia and Google.
The Times noted that although Next has suffered a sharp fall in the past year, investors who held GBP5,624 worth of Next shares in December 1990 would have become millionaires by 2007.
Its recent market slide has reportedly cut that that figure in half though, and investors would have been depressed with news last week that like-for-like sales at Next fell by 6% in the first six months of the year.
The the chain has also warning that a similar slowdown is likely in its second half.
The Times list is drawn up on shares that could have been bought for next-to-nothing before later creating a fortune.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar