Blog: Bigger picture shows Next success
Leonie Barrie | 6 August 2008
This week saw a heady mention for Next Plc in The Times newspaper's top ten share price growers - with the UK retailer out-gunning the likes of Nokia and Google.
The Times noted that although Next has suffered a sharp fall in the past year, investors who held GBP5,624 worth of Next shares in December 1990 would have become millionaires by 2007.
Its recent market slide has reportedly cut that that figure in half though, and investors would have been depressed with news last week that like-for-like sales at Next fell by 6% in the first six months of the year.
The the chain has also warning that a similar slowdown is likely in its second half.
The Times list is drawn up on shares that could have been bought for next-to-nothing before later creating a fortune.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar