Blog: Billions of dollars, two pairs of shoes
Joe Ayling | 21 September 2010
New York mayor Michael Bloomberg has caused a stir in the fashion world by confirming he only owns two pairs of work shoes.
Bloomberg, a billionaire, prefers to have his black loafers resoled than to buy new ones. In fact, he's had the soles of his shoes repaired so many times he can't even remember what brand they are, according to media reports.
With many celebrities having a shoe cupboard the size of a small house, his minimalist approach to footwear is somewhat refreshing - if a little worrying for retailers. Media guru Bloomberg prefers to share his wealth with a New York cobbler, who I assume is making a healthy living on tips alone.
One advantage of the 'Bloomberg method' of buying shoes is that storing the two he's not wearing is nothing more than a stroll through Central Park.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar