Blog: Billions of dollars, two pairs of shoes
Joe Ayling | 21 September 2010
New York mayor Michael Bloomberg has caused a stir in the fashion world by confirming he only owns two pairs of work shoes.
Bloomberg, a billionaire, prefers to have his black loafers resoled than to buy new ones. In fact, he's had the soles of his shoes repaired so many times he can't even remember what brand they are, according to media reports.
With many celebrities having a shoe cupboard the size of a small house, his minimalist approach to footwear is somewhat refreshing - if a little worrying for retailers. Media guru Bloomberg prefers to share his wealth with a New York cobbler, who I assume is making a healthy living on tips alone.
One advantage of the 'Bloomberg method' of buying shoes is that storing the two he's not wearing is nothing more than a stroll through Central Park.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar