Blog: Black Friday begins on Thursday
Leonie Barrie | 23 November 2011
Next to the Saturday before Christmas, Black Friday - traditionally the day after Thanksgiving - ranks as the most important shopping day of the season. And a new survey from Deloitte suggests holiday shoppers won't let the side down this year, with 51% planning to be either online or in stores this weekend.
But this year, more than ever before, it seems retailers are leaving nothing to chance when it comes to persuading shoppers to part with their dollars. In an increasingly competitive holiday shopping season the traditional Black Friday pre-dawn openings are a thing of the past, as stores race to be the first to open their doors. Retailers including Best Buy, Kohl's, Macy's and Target will all be open at midnight for the first time, while Walmart plans to go one better by opening two hours earlier, at 10pm on Thanksgiving Day.
If Black Friday is seen as a good gauge of consumer sentiment, then what does this mean for the rest of the holiday season? Earlier openings, hefty markdowns and other promotional deals may lead to higher sales, but the resulting hit to profits suggests retailers may have little festive cheer to look forward to.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- "Buy American, Hire American" to guide Trump trade
- Ten retail trends to watch for in 2017
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Trump signs order to withdraw from TPP
- UK clothing factory workers paid half minimum wage
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022