Blog: Black Friday begins on Thursday
Leonie Barrie | 23 November 2011
Next to the Saturday before Christmas, Black Friday - traditionally the day after Thanksgiving - ranks as the most important shopping day of the season. And a new survey from Deloitte suggests holiday shoppers won't let the side down this year, with 51% planning to be either online or in stores this weekend.
But this year, more than ever before, it seems retailers are leaving nothing to chance when it comes to persuading shoppers to part with their dollars. In an increasingly competitive holiday shopping season the traditional Black Friday pre-dawn openings are a thing of the past, as stores race to be the first to open their doors. Retailers including Best Buy, Kohl's, Macy's and Target will all be open at midnight for the first time, while Walmart plans to go one better by opening two hours earlier, at 10pm on Thanksgiving Day.
If Black Friday is seen as a good gauge of consumer sentiment, then what does this mean for the rest of the holiday season? Earlier openings, hefty markdowns and other promotional deals may lead to higher sales, but the resulting hit to profits suggests retailers may have little festive cheer to look forward to.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts