Blog: Black Friday generates rosy sales
Leonie Barrie | 26 November 2007
After the turkey and pumpkin pie was finished, it seems US consumers focused their attention on a feast of a different sort: holiday shopping. As retailers rushed to put the final touches on their stores before pre-dawn openings, consumers left their houses early to stand in line and be the first to welcome in the official start of the holiday shopping season.
With some stores opening at midnight, and others bringing forward their opening times to 4am or 5am, the thought of a bargain was obviously enough to dispel fears of a slumping economy and rising fuel bills. But even though there was a 4.8% increase in the number of shoppers, they spent an average of 3.5% less than last year, prompting questions about trends for the period overall.
One commentator suggests that Black Friday, as the first day of the holiday season is known, is a good gauge of consumer sentiment. But with the Thanksgiving weekend representing just 10% of total holiday shopping volume, there’s a lot of work still to do to ensure the remaining 90% lives up to expectations.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack