Blog: Black Friday generates rosy sales
Leonie Barrie | 26 November 2007
After the turkey and pumpkin pie was finished, it seems US consumers focused their attention on a feast of a different sort: holiday shopping. As retailers rushed to put the final touches on their stores before pre-dawn openings, consumers left their houses early to stand in line and be the first to welcome in the official start of the holiday shopping season.
With some stores opening at midnight, and others bringing forward their opening times to 4am or 5am, the thought of a bargain was obviously enough to dispel fears of a slumping economy and rising fuel bills. But even though there was a 4.8% increase in the number of shoppers, they spent an average of 3.5% less than last year, prompting questions about trends for the period overall.
One commentator suggests that Black Friday, as the first day of the holiday season is known, is a good gauge of consumer sentiment. But with the Thanksgiving weekend representing just 10% of total holiday shopping volume, there’s a lot of work still to do to ensure the remaining 90% lives up to expectations.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016