Blog: Black Friday generates rosy sales
Leonie Barrie | 26 November 2007
After the turkey and pumpkin pie was finished, it seems US consumers focused their attention on a feast of a different sort: holiday shopping. As retailers rushed to put the final touches on their stores before pre-dawn openings, consumers left their houses early to stand in line and be the first to welcome in the official start of the holiday shopping season.
With some stores opening at midnight, and others bringing forward their opening times to 4am or 5am, the thought of a bargain was obviously enough to dispel fears of a slumping economy and rising fuel bills. But even though there was a 4.8% increase in the number of shoppers, they spent an average of 3.5% less than last year, prompting questions about trends for the period overall.
One commentator suggests that Black Friday, as the first day of the holiday season is known, is a good gauge of consumer sentiment. But with the Thanksgiving weekend representing just 10% of total holiday shopping volume, there’s a lot of work still to do to ensure the remaining 90% lives up to expectations.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Carter's, Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022