Blog: Brands and retailers praised for organic cotton uptake
Katie Smith | 15 October 2012
Apparel brands including H&M Hennes & Mauritz, Nike, Anvil Knitwear, Patagonia and Gossypium have been recognised for increasing their use of organic cotton.
Non-profit group Textile Exchange said their collective work has resulted in safer environments for cotton farmers and improved market access for organic cotton.
Textile Exchange said increasing the demand for organic cotton results in reduced water use, the elimination of artificial pesticides and fertilisers and improving the health of farmers.
"These brands and retailers are helping to drive the demand for organic cotton. As a result, every step of the supply chain has benefited," said LaRhea Pepper, managing director of Textile Exchange.
The brands were given 'Future Shaper' awards at the Sustainable Textiles Conference in Hong Kong on 4 October.
Do you have strong opinions, insight and expertise in a particular area of the textiles and apparel industry?...
As if political tensions and strikes for higher wages by garment workers have not already caused enough disruption in Cambodia, new research has suggested they will continue to weigh on the country's ...
We're heading off for an Easter break here in the UK, which means there will be no site updates or email newsletters on Friday (18 April) or Monday (21 April)....
Beleaguered US department store retailer JC Penney is at last getting something right as it continues to try to turn around its business: its commitment to saving energy and fighting climate change....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy