Blog: Brands and retailers praised for organic cotton uptake
Katie Smith | 15 October 2012
Apparel brands including H&M Hennes & Mauritz, Nike, Anvil Knitwear, Patagonia and Gossypium have been recognised for increasing their use of organic cotton.
Non-profit group Textile Exchange said their collective work has resulted in safer environments for cotton farmers and improved market access for organic cotton.
Textile Exchange said increasing the demand for organic cotton results in reduced water use, the elimination of artificial pesticides and fertilisers and improving the health of farmers.
"These brands and retailers are helping to drive the demand for organic cotton. As a result, every step of the supply chain has benefited," said LaRhea Pepper, managing director of Textile Exchange.
The brands were given 'Future Shaper' awards at the Sustainable Textiles Conference in Hong Kong on 4 October.
Outdoor brands are being urged to eliminate all PFCs from their products and supply chains after the hazardous chemicals were discovered in clothing, footwear and outdoor equipment....
While consumers increasingly crave instant gratification, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and more options than ever before in terms of products and how and where to buy them, retailers and brands are bein...
US President Barack Obama last week used his final State of the Union address to appeal to Congress to ratifiy the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement....
What are likely to be the key apparel industry issues to watch in the upcoming year? To kick-start 2016, just-style has again asked leading executives for their thoughts on potential challenges and op...
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024