Blog: Brands and retailers praised for organic cotton uptake
Katie Smith | 15 October 2012
Apparel brands including H&M Hennes & Mauritz, Nike, Anvil Knitwear, Patagonia and Gossypium have been recognised for increasing their use of organic cotton.
Non-profit group Textile Exchange said their collective work has resulted in safer environments for cotton farmers and improved market access for organic cotton.
Textile Exchange said increasing the demand for organic cotton results in reduced water use, the elimination of artificial pesticides and fertilisers and improving the health of farmers.
"These brands and retailers are helping to drive the demand for organic cotton. As a result, every step of the supply chain has benefited," said LaRhea Pepper, managing director of Textile Exchange.
The brands were given 'Future Shaper' awards at the Sustainable Textiles Conference in Hong Kong on 4 October.
As if retailers didn’t have enough to contend with as they try to get to grips with doing business in a digitally-connected omni-channel world, it seems the rise of the “selfie” is also beginning to i...
Britain’s Modern Slavery Act, which began coming into force at the end of July, sets new disclosure standards on an extraordinary number of garment businesses. But its legal niceties won’t really dete...
After the latest round of TPP talks failed to clinch a deal, the race is now on to secure an agreement before the US presidential elections halt progress. Trade ministers are scrambling to try and for...
More apparel retailers appear to be ramping up their sustainability efforts in a way that will get consumers involved, with initiatives such as clothing recycling becoming increasingly popular....
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019