Blog: Bright mood despite the washout
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2010
My second instalment from Sri Lanka brings news of a historical washout. Over the past seven hours there have been 400 millilitres of rain in seven hours here - the highest in 18 years. "Wherever you are stay put," a local radio says.
Needless to say we have headed out anyway, currently en route to a series of garment factory visits around Colombo as part of this year's Sri Lanka Design Festival.
First up is MAS Holdings' Thurulie eco-factory, where the recycled rainwater system will be working overtime.
We were treated to dinner last night at the house of MAS group director Dian Gomes, only for another heavy downpour to literally drown out the band.
Heading down Colombo's main highway this morning we pass a group of young lads knee-deep in the floods, but smiling at our coach party from ear to ear.
After all, this is Sri Lanka's rainy season and although the weather is wet the mood is still bright.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022