Blog: Bright mood despite the washout
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2010
My second instalment from Sri Lanka brings news of a historical washout. Over the past seven hours there have been 400 millilitres of rain in seven hours here - the highest in 18 years. "Wherever you are stay put," a local radio says.
Needless to say we have headed out anyway, currently en route to a series of garment factory visits around Colombo as part of this year's Sri Lanka Design Festival.
First up is MAS Holdings' Thurulie eco-factory, where the recycled rainwater system will be working overtime.
We were treated to dinner last night at the house of MAS group director Dian Gomes, only for another heavy downpour to literally drown out the band.
Heading down Colombo's main highway this morning we pass a group of young lads knee-deep in the floods, but smiling at our coach party from ear to ear.
After all, this is Sri Lanka's rainy season and although the weather is wet the mood is still bright.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Brands urged to empower women in sub-Sahara Africa
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective