Blog: Bright mood despite the washout
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2010
My second instalment from Sri Lanka brings news of a historical washout. Over the past seven hours there have been 400 millilitres of rain in seven hours here - the highest in 18 years. "Wherever you are stay put," a local radio says.
Needless to say we have headed out anyway, currently en route to a series of garment factory visits around Colombo as part of this year's Sri Lanka Design Festival.
First up is MAS Holdings' Thurulie eco-factory, where the recycled rainwater system will be working overtime.
We were treated to dinner last night at the house of MAS group director Dian Gomes, only for another heavy downpour to literally drown out the band.
Heading down Colombo's main highway this morning we pass a group of young lads knee-deep in the floods, but smiling at our coach party from ear to ear.
After all, this is Sri Lanka's rainy season and although the weather is wet the mood is still bright.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- "Buy American, Hire American" to guide Trump trade
- Ten retail trends to watch for in 2017
- Trump signs order to withdraw from TPP
- UK clothing factory workers paid half minimum wage
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022