Blog: British Fashion Awards
Leonie Barrie | 11 December 2009
Luxury goods group Burberry continues to pull away from its competitors after scooping two top accolades at this week’s British Fashion Awards.
Chief creative officer Christopher Bailey won the 2009 Designer of the Year prize, while the company also won Brand of the Year at the ceremony held at The Royal Courts of Justice in London on Wednesday night.
It’s probably no coincidence that the firm is also bucking financial trends after posting better than expected second-quarter revenues last month, helped by demand for handbags and leather goods. It also set ambitious targets for the next three years, including growth in children’s wear and in China.
Other leading fashion figures also honoured at the 2009 British Fashion Awards included Kim Jones, creative director for Dunhill, who was named Menswear Designer; and Christopher Kane as BFC British Collection of the Year.
John Galliano received the award for Outstanding Achievement in Fashion Design in recognition for his extraordinary career from his graduate collection through to his most recent work at Givenchy and Christian Dior.
And the Swarovski Emerging Talent Awards for Ready-to-Wear and Accessories went to Peter Pilotto who won the Ready to Wear award and Holly Fulton who collected the award for Accessories.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar