Blog: British manufacturing success stories
Katie Smith | 4 October 2012
Against a backdrop of continuing talk among retailers, brands and importers of sourcing more garments from the UK, British manufacturers and industry groups have teamed up to showcase the best of "Made in the UK".
British brands including Johnstons of Elgin and Peregrine will promote their fashion products, including textiles, men's tailoring and footwear at the Department for Business Innovation and Skills' office in Westminster over the next two weeks.
UKFT chief executive John Miln said: "This is a fantastic way for us to proudly show off what our industry can do right in the heart of London where tourists and government will be passing every day.
Meanwhile, Business Minister Michael Fallon said: "We have some excellent businesses in this sector with British manufactured fashion in demand around the world. This showcase is a further demonstration of the breadth of our manufacturing base here in the UK."
The British Footwear Association (BFA), Designer-Manufacturer Innovation Support Centre (DISC) and the British Fashion Council (BFC) have helped with the event, which has been organised by the UK Fashion and Textile Association (UKFT).
Managing director of Johnstons of Elgin last week said manufacturing in the UK is successful through innovation, good quality and production flexibility. He was speaking at a conference on the issue organised by the Association of Suppliers to the British Clothing Industry (ASBCI).
After Nike and Wal-Mart last week pledged to source 100% of their electricity from renewable energy, more initiatives are being embarked upon to combat global climate change....
As the second largest footwear supplier to the US, Vietnam is already an important part of the production portfolio for many US footwear companies. But with growth being fuelled by the possible Trans-...
Nike and Wal-Mart have used the annual Climate Week in New York to pledge to source 100% of their electricity from renewable energy, joining H&M and M&S as part of the RE100 campaign....
just-style has just launched an exciting offer for registered members: A full-year subscription with a saving of over one third on the usual price AND a free, 33-page report on how to develop a compre...
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Where next for e-textiles and smart garments?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020