Blog: British manufacturing success stories
Katie Smith | 4 October 2012
Against a backdrop of continuing talk among retailers, brands and importers of sourcing more garments from the UK, British manufacturers and industry groups have teamed up to showcase the best of "Made in the UK".
British brands including Johnstons of Elgin and Peregrine will promote their fashion products, including textiles, men's tailoring and footwear at the Department for Business Innovation and Skills' office in Westminster over the next two weeks.
UKFT chief executive John Miln said: "This is a fantastic way for us to proudly show off what our industry can do right in the heart of London where tourists and government will be passing every day.
Meanwhile, Business Minister Michael Fallon said: "We have some excellent businesses in this sector with British manufactured fashion in demand around the world. This showcase is a further demonstration of the breadth of our manufacturing base here in the UK."
The British Footwear Association (BFA), Designer-Manufacturer Innovation Support Centre (DISC) and the British Fashion Council (BFC) have helped with the event, which has been organised by the UK Fashion and Textile Association (UKFT).
Managing director of Johnstons of Elgin last week said manufacturing in the UK is successful through innovation, good quality and production flexibility. He was speaking at a conference on the issue organised by the Association of Suppliers to the British Clothing Industry (ASBCI).
An online tool to help apparel brands, retailers and manufacturers work towards improved wages for garment workers in global supply chains has been updated in a move that marks another step towards th...
Apparel brands have been urged to stay committed to Cambodia after a 28% rise in the minimum monthly wage was agreed for textile, garment and footwear workers....
US firms including apparel retailers and importers are urging the government to intervene in the ongoing dispute at US west coast ports, amid worsening delays on shipments of holiday merchandise and f...
A number of retailers were last week forced to respond to allegations of "forced labour" among female textile workers in mills in southern India, with H&M blacklisting one of the five named....
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- African apparel sector needs cooperation to thrive
- UK fashion sector prospects depend on partnerships
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Gap unveils management changes as Q3 profit rises
- Long-running SL Garment dispute settled
- Eight footwear factories lead on social compliance
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Moisture Management Fabrics: Key to Wearer Comfort
- Global Apparel Markets: Product Developments and Innovations, 2nd Quarter 2014