Blog: British manufacturing success stories
Katie Smith | 4 October 2012
Against a backdrop of continuing talk among retailers, brands and importers of sourcing more garments from the UK, British manufacturers and industry groups have teamed up to showcase the best of "Made in the UK".
British brands including Johnstons of Elgin and Peregrine will promote their fashion products, including textiles, men's tailoring and footwear at the Department for Business Innovation and Skills' office in Westminster over the next two weeks.
UKFT chief executive John Miln said: "This is a fantastic way for us to proudly show off what our industry can do right in the heart of London where tourists and government will be passing every day.
Meanwhile, Business Minister Michael Fallon said: "We have some excellent businesses in this sector with British manufactured fashion in demand around the world. This showcase is a further demonstration of the breadth of our manufacturing base here in the UK."
The British Footwear Association (BFA), Designer-Manufacturer Innovation Support Centre (DISC) and the British Fashion Council (BFC) have helped with the event, which has been organised by the UK Fashion and Textile Association (UKFT).
Managing director of Johnstons of Elgin last week said manufacturing in the UK is successful through innovation, good quality and production flexibility. He was speaking at a conference on the issue organised by the Association of Suppliers to the British Clothing Industry (ASBCI).
Just days after international representatives expressed concerns that many "priority areas" still need to be tackled to improve safety in Bangladesh’s ready-made garment sector, a fire broke out at a ...
Outdoor brands are being urged to eliminate all PFCs from their products and supply chains after the hazardous chemicals were discovered in clothing, footwear and outdoor equipment....
While consumers increasingly crave instant gratification, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and more options than ever before in terms of products and how and where to buy them, retailers and brands are bein...
US President Barack Obama last week used his final State of the Union address to appeal to Congress to ratifiy the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement....
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Hanesbrands Q4 performance “disappoints”
- American Apparel exits bankruptcy
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024