Blog: Britons wimp out of bikini record
Leonie Barrie | 3 August 2009
In most countries August would be a sure-bet for wearing bikinis on the beach, but perhaps asking thousands of Brits to do so in a typically overcast summer is just plain unrealistic.
A brisk Southend beach yesterday played host to an attempt to break the world record for the largest ever swimsuit shoot.
However, according to this article in The Times newspaper, instead of the 1,923 bikini-clad women needed to break the Guinness World Record, a meagre 42 turned out.
The failed challenge - previously set on Riviera central beach in Sochi, Russia - was blamed on the anticipated threat of miserable weather.
Although the organisers admitted their disappointment, they were not deterred and have made plans to attempt the world record next year, this time including men in bikini bottoms to improve their chances.
However, the bar will again be raised by Sochi organisers who are expecting to assemble 2,014 before the 2014 winter Olympics.
By Becky Pile.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts