Blog: Burnt by a bikini
Leonie Barrie | 7 March 2007
We’re probably all too familiar with the burgeoning compensation culture that more often than not prevails in the place of common sense. But here’s a new one. A woman in New York woman is suing Victoria's Secret for negligence over the metal hoops in their swimsuits.
The $2m lawsuit claims Dawn Giugliano has been left permanently scarred after laying out in the sun in one of the popular lingerie company's swimsuits. Giugliano said she "was using the bathing suit as intended" and "was seriously injured" when the metal ring that held the suit's top cups together was super heated and burned a bull's-eye like circle in the middle of her chest. "You think they'd realise that people would wear this in the sun," the lawyer behind the case told The New York Times.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective