Blog: Cambodian X Factor?
Leonie Barrie | 30 August 2007
The following headline in the People’s Daily today caught my eye: “Cambodia to promote value of garment workers.” What could it be planning in honour of its cherished employees I wondered? Perhaps the government is unveiling new measures to enforce political stability and public security. Or maybe wages are finally going to increase to the level required by decency.
But no! Nothing as preposterous as this. Instead, a nationwide dress design and song lyrics competition is being planned under the banner “I am precious.” All garment factory workers have until the middle of October to enter, with the winning results presented in a show of champions at the end of the year.
I can see the organisers’ point of trying to encourage workers to “release their self-worth and potential skills through a friendly competition,” but is staging an X Factor type event really the way to do it?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack