Blog: Cambodian X Factor?
Leonie Barrie | 30 August 2007
The following headline in the People’s Daily today caught my eye: “Cambodia to promote value of garment workers.” What could it be planning in honour of its cherished employees I wondered? Perhaps the government is unveiling new measures to enforce political stability and public security. Or maybe wages are finally going to increase to the level required by decency.
But no! Nothing as preposterous as this. Instead, a nationwide dress design and song lyrics competition is being planned under the banner “I am precious.” All garment factory workers have until the middle of October to enter, with the winning results presented in a show of champions at the end of the year.
I can see the organisers’ point of trying to encourage workers to “release their self-worth and potential skills through a friendly competition,” but is staging an X Factor type event really the way to do it?
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report