Blog: Cambodian X Factor?
Leonie Barrie | 30 August 2007
The following headline in the People’s Daily today caught my eye: “Cambodia to promote value of garment workers.” What could it be planning in honour of its cherished employees I wondered? Perhaps the government is unveiling new measures to enforce political stability and public security. Or maybe wages are finally going to increase to the level required by decency.
But no! Nothing as preposterous as this. Instead, a nationwide dress design and song lyrics competition is being planned under the banner “I am precious.” All garment factory workers have until the middle of October to enter, with the winning results presented in a show of champions at the end of the year.
I can see the organisers’ point of trying to encourage workers to “release their self-worth and potential skills through a friendly competition,” but is staging an X Factor type event really the way to do it?
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022