Blog: Can China Compete?
Leonie Barrie | 23 September 2008
Here’s a headline I wouldn’t have expected to see a couple of years ago: Can China compete? This article in Time magazine confirms trends we’ve consistently reported on just-style this year, that China’s industrial model is starting to break down.
Perhaps it was inevitable that China would eventually lose its edge. After all, the economies of Asia's other tigers - South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong - have all undergone a similar transition.
The dilemma now is where to source from in the future? As Harry Lee, the managing director of TAL Apparel points out: "Five years ago, my first choice would have been China; my second, China; and my third, China.
"Now my first three choices are: I don't know, I don't know and I don't know."
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020