Blog: Can China Compete?
Leonie Barrie | 23 September 2008
Here’s a headline I wouldn’t have expected to see a couple of years ago: Can China compete? This article in Time magazine confirms trends we’ve consistently reported on just-style this year, that China’s industrial model is starting to break down.
Perhaps it was inevitable that China would eventually lose its edge. After all, the economies of Asia's other tigers - South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong - have all undergone a similar transition.
The dilemma now is where to source from in the future? As Harry Lee, the managing director of TAL Apparel points out: "Five years ago, my first choice would have been China; my second, China; and my third, China.
"Now my first three choices are: I don't know, I don't know and I don't know."
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack