Blog: Can China Compete?
Leonie Barrie | 23 September 2008
Here’s a headline I wouldn’t have expected to see a couple of years ago: Can China compete? This article in Time magazine confirms trends we’ve consistently reported on just-style this year, that China’s industrial model is starting to break down.
Perhaps it was inevitable that China would eventually lose its edge. After all, the economies of Asia's other tigers - South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong - have all undergone a similar transition.
The dilemma now is where to source from in the future? As Harry Lee, the managing director of TAL Apparel points out: "Five years ago, my first choice would have been China; my second, China; and my third, China.
"Now my first three choices are: I don't know, I don't know and I don't know."
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective