Blog: Can China Compete?
Leonie Barrie | 23 September 2008
Here’s a headline I wouldn’t have expected to see a couple of years ago: Can China compete? This article in Time magazine confirms trends we’ve consistently reported on just-style this year, that China’s industrial model is starting to break down.
Perhaps it was inevitable that China would eventually lose its edge. After all, the economies of Asia's other tigers - South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong - have all undergone a similar transition.
The dilemma now is where to source from in the future? As Harry Lee, the managing director of TAL Apparel points out: "Five years ago, my first choice would have been China; my second, China; and my third, China.
"Now my first three choices are: I don't know, I don't know and I don't know."
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- M&S clothing growth – What the analysts say
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Target leads funding for mobile quality inspection
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022