Blog: Can Facebook page lure H&M to Peckham?
Leonie Barrie | 18 February 2009
Shoppers in the London area of Peckham have set up a Facebook page rallying for Swedish fast fashion chain H&M to hit their high street.
Peckham, which was the setting for iconic British comedy Only Fools and Horses, is one of the UK's many high streets with a large Woolworths store lying empty at the moment.
The Facebook page, called H&M 4 the old Woolworths store in Peckham!!!, has compiled a list of ten reasons why H&M's cheap chic should come to Peckham's 'Golden Mile'.
The list includes the names of 21 high street retailers already in business in Peckham, including Primark, travel statistics for the area, and cultural trivia.
The group's creator, Phil Bale, chairman of area's Evolution Quarter Residents' Association, has been urging the group's 151 members (not all from Peckham, or even the UK, it must be noted) to contact H&M to tell them 'how well a H&M would do in Peckham'.
It will be interesting to see who eventually resides at the old Woolworths store, and whether the social networking approach will encourage H&M to follow Primark to Peckham.
By Zoe Burke.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar