Blog: Can Facebook page lure H&M to Peckham?
Leonie Barrie | 18 February 2009
Shoppers in the London area of Peckham have set up a Facebook page rallying for Swedish fast fashion chain H&M to hit their high street.
Peckham, which was the setting for iconic British comedy Only Fools and Horses, is one of the UK's many high streets with a large Woolworths store lying empty at the moment.
The Facebook page, called H&M 4 the old Woolworths store in Peckham!!!, has compiled a list of ten reasons why H&M's cheap chic should come to Peckham's 'Golden Mile'.
The list includes the names of 21 high street retailers already in business in Peckham, including Primark, travel statistics for the area, and cultural trivia.
The group's creator, Phil Bale, chairman of area's Evolution Quarter Residents' Association, has been urging the group's 151 members (not all from Peckham, or even the UK, it must be noted) to contact H&M to tell them 'how well a H&M would do in Peckham'.
It will be interesting to see who eventually resides at the old Woolworths store, and whether the social networking approach will encourage H&M to follow Primark to Peckham.
By Zoe Burke.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020