Blog: Cashmere co unravels
Leonie Barrie | 10 January 2006
Is there anyone out there interested in buying a cashmere company? It’s been another sad day for Scotland’s cashmere industry with news that John Laing of Hawick Limited has called in the receivers. The company, which makes high quality cashmere garments and has an annual turnover of around £3.5m, blamed its significant losses on a combination of bad debts and increased foreign competition over the last few years.
News that 175-year-old John Laing is in trouble comes less than a month after the closure of Hawick knitwear company Douglas of Scotland. The loss of more jobs casts a dark cloud over the town of Hawick, which is known worldwide for the production of Scottish cashmere. But it also comes as a shock at a time when demand for luxury cashmere is relatively strong. The British Retail Consortium even highlighted cashmere as one of the Christmas season’s most popular gifts, bucking a lacklustre month for retail sales.
Anyone with any interest in acquiring the business should contact Tony Friar on +44 (0)141 226 5511.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Trump blows the case for Brexit out of the water
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Sears, Vince Holding, Genesco
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth