Blog: Catwalk shows out of fashion?
Leonie Barrie | 16 January 2004
Do designer catwalk shows lead to widespread copying? That’s the debate now raging after Didier Grumbach, the president of the union representing French haute couture and ready-to-wear, said staging the shows six months ahead of the selling season simply provides high street fashion chains with a chance to produce cheap imitations. This is exacerbated, he says, by widespread TV, media and Internet coverage. The retailers, of course, argue that they don’t copy, but tap into the season’s trends and come up with their own ideas
It’s a Catch-22 situation, and one the M Grumbach admits is controversial. But, he says, the system will change eventually. If designers show their collections behind closed doors, with press and public viewings taking place just days before the clothes go on sale, then the shows will inevitably lose much of their glamour and prestige. Equally, it is the hype that the media frenzy generates that feeds the industry, from designer to high street. And without it, where would the designers find themselves?
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts