Blog: Catwalk shows out of fashion?
Leonie Barrie | 16 January 2004
Do designer catwalk shows lead to widespread copying? That’s the debate now raging after Didier Grumbach, the president of the union representing French haute couture and ready-to-wear, said staging the shows six months ahead of the selling season simply provides high street fashion chains with a chance to produce cheap imitations. This is exacerbated, he says, by widespread TV, media and Internet coverage. The retailers, of course, argue that they don’t copy, but tap into the season’s trends and come up with their own ideas
It’s a Catch-22 situation, and one the M Grumbach admits is controversial. But, he says, the system will change eventually. If designers show their collections behind closed doors, with press and public viewings taking place just days before the clothes go on sale, then the shows will inevitably lose much of their glamour and prestige. Equally, it is the hype that the media frenzy generates that feeds the industry, from designer to high street. And without it, where would the designers find themselves?
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020