Blog: Cautious consumers
Leonie Barrie | 10 March 2008
One word seems to sum up US consumer sentiment just now: cautious. Shoppers tentatively returned to the stores in February, offering a bit of a reprieve for the nation's retailers, with discounters like Wal-Mart Stores and Target perhaps not surprisingly among the biggest winners.
But the weakest performers reporting their February sales results last Thursday included apparel stores such as Gap, Limited Brands and JC Penney, Wet Seal and Zumiez. Consumers, it seems, are focusing instead on necessities such as groceries and health products.
February might be one of the smallest months in terms of sales for retailers, but it marks the start of the all-important spring season. And historically, an early Easter doesn’t bode well for sales of warm weather clothes. Given the current climate, the consensus seems to be that the next few months are likely to be particularly challenging too.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022