Blog: Cavalli puts Spice Girls back in fashion
Joe Ayling | 6 December 2007
Italian designer Roberto Cavalli is turning his hand to stage costumes at the moment, after causing shopping hysteria when his collection at H&M launched last month.
Cavalli has designed the costumes for the reformed British girl power group The Spice Girls as they embark on a global comeback tour, which started in Vancouver this week.
Ginger, Sporty, Scary, Baby and Posh, or Geri Halliwell, Melanie C, Melanie B, Emma Bunton and Victoria Beckham if you must, wore creations that include rigorous white and black tuxedos, silver space-age uniforms, shiny minidresses embroidered with Swarovsky crystals and feathers, sensual leather corsets and brightly coloured jumpsuits.
It seems that Posh Spice might well have been the driving force in the deal though.
Cavalli said: "I have known Victoria Beckham for a long time, and have always admired her style and personality. When we talked about the worldwide tour "The Return of the Spice Girls", she put forward the idea of me creating all their costumes to which I immediately agreed."
Cavalli's limited edition collection at H&M is only going to grow in stature now, if there's anything left that is.
By Joe Ayling, news editor
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack