Blog: Closed loop continues to gain traction
Petah Marian | 14 June 2013
When I last spoke to the industry about closed loop, many were interested, but also emphasised the many challenges faced by those interested in recycling fibres - weakness in mechanically recycled fibres, to issues with dyeability in chemically recycled polyester.
Yet, at the Made-By conference last Friday, G-Star and Kuyichi talked about how they were both integrating recycled cotton fibres into their denim ranges.
Dutch denim brand Kuyichi has an interesting background, formed by Dutch NGO Solidaridad after it couldn't find a market for organic cotton it had developed in Peru during 2000.
For those interested in what the fibre recycling process looks like, this stylish video made by Swedish premium denim brand Nudie Jeans explains all:
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020