Blog: Clothing sales peel off as temperatures soar
Leonie Barrie | 12 August 2003
But talking about – and enjoying – it seems is pretty much all we’ve been doing. As winter ranges start piling into the stores, highlighting how ridiculously out of synch fashion seasons are, most people are more interested in sunbathing than shopping.
All of which is causing consternation for some retailers according to the British Retail Consortium. In July, sales of summer tops and T-shirts, sandals and sunglasses all soared it says, although many high-street clothing stores reported that customers simply stayed away from the shops altogether, preferring instead to head to the beach. Retail information group FootFall believes UK store traffic fell by as much as 7.3 per cent in the week to Sunday.
Another blow for retailers is that this warm spell couldn’t have come at a worse time: many are in the midst of summer markdowns to make way for their new winter lines, so any chance of making a reasonable return on their ranges has simply evaporated.
But it just goes to show that for all the sophisticated forecasting methodologies and software tools now at the industry’s disposal, freak weather conditions can put months of planning to waste.
As for me, I’m heading off for an ice cream!
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar