Blog: Cold snap leads to snood mania
Joe Ayling | 8 December 2010
A curiously-named variation of the scarf is sweeping across the UK as wimpy footballers try to stave off the cold weather.
The 'snood', which is pulled over the head rather than needing to be wrapped around the neck, is being adopted by sports 'men' and musicians alike.
During an unseasonably cold lead-up to Christmas in the UK, retailers like Gap and Next are stocking up on snoods big time. Just one click brings up dozens.
While snoods hold a certain appeal to me as a fashion accessory, they will not be making my Christmas list as a football item for a few reasons.
Firstly, I can see the snood doubling up as a kind of 'leash' while playing competitive sports at the rock-bottom level I do. Secondly, a grown man wearing a scarf while doing exercise can only lead to widespread laughter and verbal abuse too.
So while temptingly cosy, the snood is not the complete answer to Britain's big freeze chaos.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022