Blog: Cold snap leads to snood mania
Joe Ayling | 8 December 2010
A curiously-named variation of the scarf is sweeping across the UK as wimpy footballers try to stave off the cold weather.
The 'snood', which is pulled over the head rather than needing to be wrapped around the neck, is being adopted by sports 'men' and musicians alike.
During an unseasonably cold lead-up to Christmas in the UK, retailers like Gap and Next are stocking up on snoods big time. Just one click brings up dozens.
While snoods hold a certain appeal to me as a fashion accessory, they will not be making my Christmas list as a football item for a few reasons.
Firstly, I can see the snood doubling up as a kind of 'leash' while playing competitive sports at the rock-bottom level I do. Secondly, a grown man wearing a scarf while doing exercise can only lead to widespread laughter and verbal abuse too.
So while temptingly cosy, the snood is not the complete answer to Britain's big freeze chaos.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020