Blog: Cold snaps at sales
Leonie Barrie | 29 March 2006
Swedish retailer H&M is the latest to blame the unseasonable cold weather across Europe and the delayed start of Europe’s spring shopping season for denting its sales. The lure of lightweight summer stock definitely loses its appeal when pitched against grey skies and biting winds – even if the calendars do tell us that it’s officially spring.
Now that the sun’s starting to shine, though, retailers can look forward to an upturn in their fortunes. Not only is Easter later this year – traditionally the time when shoppers replenish their wardrobes, so thankfully spared from the cold snap – but blue skies and warn sunshine inevitably fuel the feelgood factor. And suddenly, winter is but a distant memory.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022