Blog: Cold snaps at sales
Leonie Barrie | 29 March 2006
Swedish retailer H&M is the latest to blame the unseasonable cold weather across Europe and the delayed start of Europe’s spring shopping season for denting its sales. The lure of lightweight summer stock definitely loses its appeal when pitched against grey skies and biting winds – even if the calendars do tell us that it’s officially spring.
Now that the sun’s starting to shine, though, retailers can look forward to an upturn in their fortunes. Not only is Easter later this year – traditionally the time when shoppers replenish their wardrobes, so thankfully spared from the cold snap – but blue skies and warn sunshine inevitably fuel the feelgood factor. And suddenly, winter is but a distant memory.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Walmart snaps up online fashion firm ModCloth
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective