Blog: Cold snaps at sales
Leonie Barrie | 29 March 2006
Swedish retailer H&M is the latest to blame the unseasonable cold weather across Europe and the delayed start of Europe’s spring shopping season for denting its sales. The lure of lightweight summer stock definitely loses its appeal when pitched against grey skies and biting winds – even if the calendars do tell us that it’s officially spring.
Now that the sun’s starting to shine, though, retailers can look forward to an upturn in their fortunes. Not only is Easter later this year – traditionally the time when shoppers replenish their wardrobes, so thankfully spared from the cold snap – but blue skies and warn sunshine inevitably fuel the feelgood factor. And suddenly, winter is but a distant memory.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report