Blog: Cold snaps at sales
Leonie Barrie | 29 March 2006
Swedish retailer H&M is the latest to blame the unseasonable cold weather across Europe and the delayed start of Europe’s spring shopping season for denting its sales. The lure of lightweight summer stock definitely loses its appeal when pitched against grey skies and biting winds – even if the calendars do tell us that it’s officially spring.
Now that the sun’s starting to shine, though, retailers can look forward to an upturn in their fortunes. Not only is Easter later this year – traditionally the time when shoppers replenish their wardrobes, so thankfully spared from the cold snap – but blue skies and warn sunshine inevitably fuel the feelgood factor. And suddenly, winter is but a distant memory.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020