Blog: Colombia here I come…
Leonie Barrie | 12 January 2004
I’m preparing to fly out to Colombia at the week-end for a whistle-stop tour of some of the country’s clothing makers as well as a couple of days at the Colombiatex trade show in Medellin. My preliminary research reveals a sleeping giant as far as the industry is concerned – it’s just a shame it’s so totally overshadowed by the country’s terrorist activities. Did you know, for instance, that Colombia’s duty-free exports of textiles and apparel to the US under the Andean Trade Preference and Drug Eradication Act (ATPDEA) grew by 39 per cent in the first quarter of 2003; that ATPDEA exports through 2006 are estimated at $2.5 billion; and that the industry has invested around $500 million in equipment and modernisation in the last five years. The country also exports duty-free to the EU, and I’m hoping to catch up with some of the UK buyers heading out to the show to hear their views on what Colombia has to offer.
If any of our readers will be at the show and would like to share their thoughts on the industry’s strengths and weaknesses – or just catch up to say hello – then drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see what can be arranged.
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
The recent bankruptcy of South Korea's Hanjin Shipping, the world's seventh-largest container shipper, at the end of August, has left billions of dollars worth of merchandise in limbo, leaving the fal...
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020