Blog: Colombia here I come…
Leonie Barrie | 12 January 2004
I’m preparing to fly out to Colombia at the week-end for a whistle-stop tour of some of the country’s clothing makers as well as a couple of days at the Colombiatex trade show in Medellin. My preliminary research reveals a sleeping giant as far as the industry is concerned – it’s just a shame it’s so totally overshadowed by the country’s terrorist activities. Did you know, for instance, that Colombia’s duty-free exports of textiles and apparel to the US under the Andean Trade Preference and Drug Eradication Act (ATPDEA) grew by 39 per cent in the first quarter of 2003; that ATPDEA exports through 2006 are estimated at $2.5 billion; and that the industry has invested around $500 million in equipment and modernisation in the last five years. The country also exports duty-free to the EU, and I’m hoping to catch up with some of the UK buyers heading out to the show to hear their views on what Colombia has to offer.
If any of our readers will be at the show and would like to share their thoughts on the industry’s strengths and weaknesses – or just catch up to say hello – then drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see what can be arranged.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022