Blog: Colombia here I come…
Leonie Barrie | 12 January 2004
I’m preparing to fly out to Colombia at the week-end for a whistle-stop tour of some of the country’s clothing makers as well as a couple of days at the Colombiatex trade show in Medellin. My preliminary research reveals a sleeping giant as far as the industry is concerned – it’s just a shame it’s so totally overshadowed by the country’s terrorist activities. Did you know, for instance, that Colombia’s duty-free exports of textiles and apparel to the US under the Andean Trade Preference and Drug Eradication Act (ATPDEA) grew by 39 per cent in the first quarter of 2003; that ATPDEA exports through 2006 are estimated at $2.5 billion; and that the industry has invested around $500 million in equipment and modernisation in the last five years. The country also exports duty-free to the EU, and I’m hoping to catch up with some of the UK buyers heading out to the show to hear their views on what Colombia has to offer.
If any of our readers will be at the show and would like to share their thoughts on the industry’s strengths and weaknesses – or just catch up to say hello – then drop me a line at email@example.com and we’ll see what can be arranged.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- M&S clothing growth – What the analysts say
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Target leads funding for mobile quality inspection
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022