Blog: Colombia here I come…
Leonie Barrie | 12 January 2004
I’m preparing to fly out to Colombia at the week-end for a whistle-stop tour of some of the country’s clothing makers as well as a couple of days at the Colombiatex trade show in Medellin. My preliminary research reveals a sleeping giant as far as the industry is concerned – it’s just a shame it’s so totally overshadowed by the country’s terrorist activities. Did you know, for instance, that Colombia’s duty-free exports of textiles and apparel to the US under the Andean Trade Preference and Drug Eradication Act (ATPDEA) grew by 39 per cent in the first quarter of 2003; that ATPDEA exports through 2006 are estimated at $2.5 billion; and that the industry has invested around $500 million in equipment and modernisation in the last five years. The country also exports duty-free to the EU, and I’m hoping to catch up with some of the UK buyers heading out to the show to hear their views on what Colombia has to offer.
If any of our readers will be at the show and would like to share their thoughts on the industry’s strengths and weaknesses – or just catch up to say hello – then drop me a line at email@example.com and we’ll see what can be arranged.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Li & Fung eyes speed, innovation & digitalisation
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Hirdaramani to head WFSGI manufacturers committee
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack