Blog: Computer calamity
Leonie Barrie | 5 May 2006
Earlier this week I wrote about a useful Software Scorecard that rates apparel-specific software systems based upon the results of user feedback. Well one piece of information that’s also emerged this week highlights just how difficult – and expensive – implementing an IT system can be.
Contained within retailer Matalan’s financial results was news that the company’s plunge in pre-tax profits from GBP80.5m to GBP36.3m was partly due to a GBP20.4m write-down on a new computer system. And what’s more, it’s considering suing the consultancy firm that advised it.
Kurt Salmon Associates was on hand to help Matalan overhaul its IT system between 2001 and 2004, but the discount fashion chain has now decided its old system was better. So instead of switching to the half-finished new one, it intends to keep the existing system. Even more humiliating is the fact that the key replenishment and merchandising systems have yet to be finished, and five years down the line the company is no further forward...just poorer.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts