Blog: Computer calamity
Leonie Barrie | 5 May 2006
Earlier this week I wrote about a useful Software Scorecard that rates apparel-specific software systems based upon the results of user feedback. Well one piece of information that’s also emerged this week highlights just how difficult – and expensive – implementing an IT system can be.
Contained within retailer Matalan’s financial results was news that the company’s plunge in pre-tax profits from GBP80.5m to GBP36.3m was partly due to a GBP20.4m write-down on a new computer system. And what’s more, it’s considering suing the consultancy firm that advised it.
Kurt Salmon Associates was on hand to help Matalan overhaul its IT system between 2001 and 2004, but the discount fashion chain has now decided its old system was better. So instead of switching to the half-finished new one, it intends to keep the existing system. Even more humiliating is the fact that the key replenishment and merchandising systems have yet to be finished, and five years down the line the company is no further forward...just poorer.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022